This article summarises 5 potentially catastrophic close calls involving nuclear weapons.
- A scientific rocket launch that almost triggered Soviet retaliation, because “U.S. notification of an upcoming satellite launch never made it up the chain of command”
- A defective computer chip almost triggered US nuclear launch
- A nuclear bomb fell off a plane above North Carolina
- 6 cruise missiles armed with nuclear warheads were strapped to the wrong plane, and remained unguarded on a runway, and nobody noticed for 36 hours
- A missile carrying a nuclear warhead exploded in its silo because a maintenance worker dropped a socket wrench